Have you ever wondered how to connect a TV to Wi-Fi without a remote? You might be at a loss when you have lost or broken your remote and cannot connect to Wi-Fi, right? But don’t worry, as I’ve come up with all the possible solutions for this predicament. So let’s get started, buddy!
A Quick Answer
When you don’t have the remote at hand, don’t freak out. You still have roughly have 4 or 5 alternatives to connect to Wi-Fi. Let’s discover them:
- You can use a wired connection.
- Using a USB keyboard or mouse is another easy method.
- You can use your smartphone as a remote.
- You can configure your Wi-Fi and password.
- Or, you can try using a mobile hotspot.
The methods are seemingly hard, but I shall explain them in easy-breezy words. You will also learn what to do for each particular TV brand in case you don’t have the remote. So continue reading to find out the details as I share some incredible tips. Let me begin with the easiest one.
1. Connect TV to Wi-Fi Network Using Mouse and Keyboard
Smart TVs we see today have USB ports so that you can connect external devices. If you have a USB mouse or a keyboard, you can use it to control your television.
For example, if you can connect your television to a USB keyboard, the keyboard will allow you to navigate through the settings, and you can connect to the Wi-Fi network easily. The same goes for the mouse, be it wired or wireless.
Connecting a Wired Mouse to a Smart TV
The process is quite simple here:
- First of all, find out where is the USB port located. Usually, you shall find it on the back or on the side.
- Then, connect the USB mouse to the port.
- It’s all set to go when you see the device-connected pop-up on the TV screen.
- Navigate through the TV’s network settings and connect with the Wi-Fi using the mouse.
Credit: www.youtube.com @OPTANETUA, @WebproeducationOrgTechnology
Connecting a Wireless Mouse to a Smart TV
Connecting a wireless mouse is pretty similar:
- Find the location of the USB port.
- Attach the Bluetooth receiver into the slot.
- Connect your mouse to the smart TV.
- Once connected, use the mouse to control Wi-Fi settings.
This is the easiest method to connect TV to Wi-Fi without a remote.
Credit: www.youtube.com @OPTANETUA, @WebproeducationOrgTechnology
2. Connect TV to Wi-Fi Network With Ethernet Cable
You can use an ethernet cable for a steady network when you don’t have the remote control. I can assure you that a wired connection is far better than a wireless connection. Let’s explore how to use an ethernet cable to get an active internet connection in your Television.
- Most modern smart TVs have an ethernet port on their back. Locate the port.
- Take an ethernet cable and connect it to the router and to the TV.
- Some routers don’t support a LAN port. In that case, you need to use an ethernet hub.
- Now, once connected, use the Television to check the ethernet connection.
You can buy Ethernet Cable from here.
Credit: www.youtube.com @MJTube11
3. Use a Smartphone APP to Connect your Smart TV to Wi-Fi
Well, we all love to use smartphones when we are stuck in some problem, don’t we? When you have lost the remote control, your phone can again save you from trouble.
You can connect your TV to Wi-Fi without a remote if you install an application. Let me show you how to do it.
Credit: www.youtube.com @PoolarityChannel
- Install the required application from the TV brand on your smartphone.
- Open the app and search for your TV model.
- Connect the TV to the application and start using your phone to control your TV.
- Now go to the TV’s Wi-Fi settings and connect it to the Wi-Fi.
- Put your Wi-Fi password in if needed.
4. Configure Your Wi-Fi and Password
If you have changed your Wi-Fi name and password, your TV might not recognize and connect to it. But ideally, the television has saved all the previous network info it has connected to. What can you do in that case?
- First of all, you have to change your Wi-Fi name and password back to its previous state. Make it exactly as it was when connected to your television.
- Now, you need to search for the available networks.
- Once you find the name in the list, click and connect to it.
5. Using a Mobile Hotspot to Connect the TV to Wi-Fi
I do not recommend this technique often as it is a bit complicated and unsuitable as a permanent solution. In this method, you need to use two smartphones. Here’s how to establish the connection.
- Take the first phone and set the hotspot to the same name and password your TV has connected to. The TV will consider this to be the same network as before.
- If you have done the configuration correctly, the TV will connect to the hotspot.
- Now, take another smartphone and connect it to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Download the Companion smartphone app on this second phone.
- Then, use the application to control your television. You can connect your favorite TV now to your home Wi-Fi router.
Now, I’m going to discuss the Wi-Fi connection process of different smart TV brands. Needless to say, you don’t need a TV remote to establish the connection. You can just read the procedure of your TV and skip the other ones.
Connecting A Samsung Smart TV to Wi-Fi Without a Remote
Connecting a Samsung Smart TV without a remote control is much easier than people imagine. You just need to utilize the TV’s navigation button. Let me show you how:
- First, switch on your Samsung TV.
- Use the navigation buttons to reach the SettingsMenu.
- Now, you have to scroll down to Network settings and click on it.
- Then, you shall be asked to choose between wireless and wired options. Choose the wireless network.
- Then select your Wi-Fi network from the list. Provide the password if asked.
If you don’t want to go through all these troubles, just download the SmartThings application on your phone and control your television. Using a USB or Bluetooth keyboard or a mouse is also a better alternative. The same goes for almost all TV brands.
Here is a video guideline of the process:
Connecting A Sony Smart TV to Wi-Fi Without a Remote Control
The process of connecting Sony TV to Wi-Fi is somewhat simple as well. You need to use a USB adapted to connect, though. Here are the step-by-step guidelines below.
- Take the adapter and plug it into your TV’s USB port.
- Now, the process is similar to the Samsung TV. Navigate through the menu and click on the Network settings.
- Scroll down and find out the WirelessSetup.
- Then, select your Wi-Fi network and connect to the TV.
If you have any trouble connecting to Sony TV to Wi-Fi, get help from customer support.
Connect LG TV to Wi-Fi Without Remote
We all know how popular LG Smart TVs are. If you are not finding the remote for the LG TV, you can still connect it to Wi-Fi.
- Connect an external speaker to your LG TV.
- Now, you can give voice commands to control the device.
- Tell your TV to go to Network > Wireless network > Connect. You should provide the password when asked.
Here a video guideline for the process:
Connecting An Insignia Smart TV to Wi-Fi Without a Remote
You can either use the TV buttons or a remote control app to connect to the wireless network. I’ll talk about both methods in brief here. Let me start with the common ones.
- First of all, click on the power button to switch on the television.
- As usual, you have to press the Menu button now and go to the Network option.
- Then scroll down and click on the Wireless network.
- As the last step, insert the required password. Voilà! you are now connected.
To connect using a mobile app:
- Take a smartphone and download a Universal remote application.
- Then, open the application and search for your Insignia Smart TV.
- When you see your TV name, pair your phone with it.
- Now, use your phone to go to Wi-Fi settings and connect to Wi-Fi.
Connect Hisense Roku TV without Remote
The Roku Mobile app is the best way to connect your TV to Wi-Fi. You might have used it before for different reasons. If not, then download the app first and follow these steps:
- Open your application and go down to the bottom menu.
- Now, tap on the Select Device option and then on AddDevice.
- If the Roku TV is on, you shall find its name on the mobile screen.
- Select your TV name, and you will be asked to provide a PIN. The PIN should be on the TV screen.
- Put the numbers, and your Roku TV will be connected to your phone.
- Now, use the same Menu>Network>Wireless>Connect flow to access the Wi-Fi network.
Watch this video to understand better:
Connect Sony Bravia TV to Wi-Fi Network
Sony Bravia TVs have an incredible feature named Control for HDMI. With this feature, you can connect some other smart devices to your TV. For example, you can connect to PlayStation 4 and then use it to navigate through your TV’s settings.
Your TV’s Control HDMI setting must be on to connect with other HDMI devices. Once you are connected, use the PlayStation remote to go to Settings and then connect to the Wi-Fi.
Connecting Vizio TV to Wi-Fi without Remote
The process here is pretty simple and similar to other smart TVs.
- First, make sure that your Vizio TV has an internet connection. You can use a wired cable here.
- Next, you need to download the Vizio Smartcast app on your phone.
- Once you open the app and search for devices, there shall be a list of names. Select your TV name.
- Now you can control your streaming device and connect it to the Wi-Fi.
Connect RCA Smart TV to Wi-Fi without Remote
RCA manufactures both smart and non-smart TVs. When you have RCA TV models, you can control it using the screen only. Use the on-screen instructions to go to the Settings Menu and connect to the Wi-Fi network.
Connecting Element TV to Wi-Fi without Remote
Some people are fab of Element TVs due to their decent video quality and affordable pricing. If you have one, you can connect it to Wi-Fi easily. There are a number of methods to do so.
- First of all, download a Universal remote application on the phone and try connecting the TV through the app.
- If the previous method doesn’t work in your model, the next thing to try is to use a USB keyboard or a mouse to get access to your TV settings. You can connect most models through this procedure.
- Well, some models work only with the on-screen menu. Check if your model falls under such a category or not. If yes, then you can connect to Wi-Fi using the screen’s menu.
- I’m pretty sure any of the above methods will work. But if you fail to connect after all possible efforts, then resetting your TV is the last option you can go for. Then input your Wi-Fi info afresh.
Connect Philips Smart TV to Wi-Fi
Phillips Smart TVs are widely popular, aren’t they? You can connect them with a similar procedure as before. You can download the Phillips MyRemote application on your smartphone and then control your television.
Moreover, your TV might have a built-in Wi-Fi. To access and connect, follow Menu > Network > Wi-Fi. If this doesn’t work for you, please get in touch with Customer Support.
Purchase Another Remote If Nothing Works
When you can’t use any of the methods I discussed above, the best thing to do is to purchase another remote control. Note that the remote must be compatible with your television.
If you know nothing about your TV model, then go for a Universal one. You can find some remotes here.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Can I Use Wi-Fi on My Android TV without Remote?
To use Wi-Fi on your Android TV, use an ethernet connection or mobile hotspot.
How Can I Connect My TV to the Internet Wirelessly?
To connect your TV to the wireless internet, go to Menu > Network Settings > Wireless Connection > Select. Then you just have to input the password.
Can I Control the TV with My Phone without a Remote?
Yes, you can control your television with your phone. But your phone must have an IR blaster. Or you have to use the mobile app.
So now you know how to connect TV to Wi-Fi without a remote. To sum up, use your smartphone application first to solve the connection issue. Or use the mobile hotspot to connect to Wi-Fi.
But if the smartphone is not working, using USB keyboards is the best solution. Moreover, an ethernet connection is the best option if you want a stable Wi-Fi connection.
When you fail from every method, just purchase another compatible remote. Or contact your TV’s customer support to salvage the situation.