Are you in search of the best budget air purifier? Your quest to find a cost-effective device that can enhance your indoor environment has come to an end. I’ve compiled a list of the nine best models for you that are designed to tackle bad odors and dust particles. So, without wasting any time, let’s find the perfect purifier by reading the guide below!
Before investing in an affordable air purifier, there are some factors to keep in mind which are the following:
- Type of Filters;
- Power Consumption;
- Area Coverage;
Now how do you find a device that checks all the above-recommended boxes at an affordable price range? Continue reading to learn about the 9 best models in detail and also get hands-on helpful tips for making the final purchase decision. Let’s get started!
Best Budget Air Purifier: Comparison Chart of 9 Top Models
Listed below are some important details of the air purifiers:
3. High-Efficiency Activated Carbon
219 sq ft
1. True HEPA Filter
153 sq ft
2. True HEPA Filter,
3. Activated Carbon Filter
183 sq ft
2. HEPA Filter
155 sq ft
Price not available
1. HEPA 13 Filter,
2. Activated Carbon Filter
160 sq ft
1. Pre-filter, HEPASilent,
2. Activated Carbon Filter
161 sq ft
2. H13 HEPA,
3. Activated Carbon
215 sq ft
2. Activated Carbon Filter,
3. HEPA Filter
100 sq ft
2. H13 True HEPA Filter,
3. High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter
129 sq ft
1. Best Overall: Levoit Core 300
Let’s have a look at the pros and cons of the unit and understand why it is at the top:
- The unit offers excellent cleaning power-to-expense ratio.
- You get superior performance with the H13 filters that can trap even the smallest particles.
- The timer feature enables an automatic shutdown between 2 and 8 hours.
- You will miss the smart features of this purifier.
The Core 300 revolutionized budget air purifiers, delivering a groundbreaking solution to indoor air quality. Unlike other competitors of its time that featured ineffective and potentially harmful ionizers, Levoit introduced a powerful air purifier featuring VortexAir Technology, 360° air intake, and the ability to clean a 1,095 sq. ft. area in one hour approximately.
Let’s check out the features of the unit:
- The advanced filtration system catches particles and traps odors from pets, cooking, etc.
- The QuietKEAP technology guarantees a whisper-quiet sound level that does not disturb your sleep.
- Sleek design helps to blend into any room setting or space.
Levoit Core 300
219 sq. ft.
Dust: 140 CFM/Pollen: 145 CFM/Smoke: 141 CFM
Pre-Filter, H13 (Medical) Grade HEPA, Activated Charcoal
Energy Star Certified, ETL Certified, CARB Certified, EPA Certified
2 Years Warranty
8.7 x 8.7 x 14.2 Inches
2. Best for Medical Grade Filtration: Germ Guardian AC4825E
Listed below are the pros and cons of this unit:
- The unit is ready to use right out of the box and does not need any special configuration or installation requirements.
- Very easy-to-understand controls make the operation of the air purifier suitable for everyone.
- It uses HEPA and charcoal filters to ensure cleaner and healthier air indoors.
- The front of this unit gets dirty and requires cleaning.
The AC4825E performs exceptionally in cleaning and purifying the air in medium to large-sized rooms. It is equipped with a True HEPA filter capable of trapping 99.97% of germs, pollutants, and allergens that are 0.1 microns in size. The UV-C light feature and Titanium Dioxide ensure that no harmful germs are left indoors. It produces very less sound ensuring you a relaxing sleep experience.
Let’s dive into the features of this unit:
- The Ultra-Quiet technology ensures the device operates with minimal noise.
- With the True HEPA filter, the air purifier can capture dust, pollens, allergens, and other pollutants of up to 0.1 microns in size with a 99.97% accuracy.
- Eliminating airborne viruses and VOCs is achieved with the UV-C and Titanium Dioxide features built into the unit.
Germ Guardian AC4825E
153 sq. ft.
Dust: 118 CFM/Pollen: 125 CFM/Smoke: 99 CFM
True HEPA Filter
Zero Ozone Certified
6.75 x 10.25 x 22 Inches
3. Best for Smart Control: Levoit Core 200S
Let’s go through the pros and cons of the unit for a better understanding:
- It efficiently cleans the air in small spaces in comparison to other air purifiers.
- You can use the app to control the device via the various options at your disposal.
- The performance is top-notch compared to its price.
- You will miss the auto mode on this purifier.
The Core 200S is a well-known air purifier series among users. It is fitted with the best filtration system and delivers Ozone-free performance. For easier control, the VeSync app and voice commands help a lot plus it is integrated with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa for scheduling cleaning.
Listed below are the notable features of this unit:
- The 360° design of the air purification system delivers 5x per hour cleaning cycles for your room.
- The super-fine Nylon Pre-Filter, Activated Carbon Filter, and HEPA filter offer unmatched filtration results.
- You get easily get rid of 99.97% airborne particles sized at 0.3 microns efficiently.
Levoit Core 200S
183 sq. ft.
Pre-filter, True HEPA Filter, and Activated Carbon Filter
ETL Certified, FCC Certified, CARB Certified
8.07 x 8.07 x 12.6 Inches
4. Best for Allergies: Honeywell HPA100
Here are the advantages and disadvantages of the air purifier:
- True HEPA filters can capture the smallest particles to ensure a healthy indoor environment.
- The fan power of this air purifier is exceptional and offers unmatched performance.
- It can effectively capture allergens that can cause sickness such as breathing issues.
- The performance is affected by the after-market filters.
The HPA100 is specifically engineered for medium rooms, functioning as a genuine HEPA air purifier. It is ideal for reducing pollutants and maintaining all the air in the room, especially during wildfire season. Another plus is that it comes with a filter replacement indicator, which makes maintenance hassle-free.
Here is a list of features that makes this unit stand out:
- The True HEPA Allergen Remover can effectively capture airborne particles as tiny as 0.3 microns, achieving up to 99.97% efficiency.
- Designed to help reduce harmful particles such as dirt, pollen, pet dander, and smoke with 4 air cleaning levels including Turbo Clean.
- Effective air cleaning and circulation, filtering and circulating air in medium-sized rooms up to 4.8 times an hour.
155 sq. ft.
Pre-Filter, HEPA Filter
AHAM Certified, Energy Star Certified, EPA Certified
5 Years Limited Warranty
13.94 x 13.54 x 8.9 Inches
5. Best Known For Durable Filters: Instant HEPA Quiet Air Purifier
Listed below are the positives and negatives of this unit:
- The air purifier is capable of removing odors and allergens from pets as well as litter boxes.
- With impressive quiet operation, this unit allows you to sleep with ease and take advantage of uninterrupted rest.
- HEPA and Plasma Ion technology effectively fight harmful micro-organisms and trap unwanted particles.
- The replacement filters for this unit are a little expensive.
The Instant Air Purifier is equipped with advanced air cleaning technology that combines a HEPA-13 filter and Plasma Ion Technology. The auto mode, odor reduction, and whisper-quiet operation features are designed to provide efficient and effortless purification for your space.
Uncover the various features of the unit for better understanding:
- Advanced air cleaning tech with a HEPA-13 filter capturing 99.97% of ultrafine impurities and Plasma Ion Technology for improved air quality.
- The unit filters an area of 630 sqft per hour and exchanges air 5 times per hour in smaller spaces with its rapid and effective purification system.
- The device’s Auto mode adapts the fan based on detected air quality, while the light band indicates the status accordingly.
Instant HEPA Quiet Air Purifier
160 sq. ft.
HEPA 13 Filter, Activated Carbon Filter
AHAM-Verified, Energy Star Certified
1-Year Limited Warranty
9.83 x 9.83 x 16.54 Inches
6. Best for Easy Control: BLUEAIR Blue 411 (Non-Auto)
Let’s check out the positives and negatives of the unit:
- The Blueair air purifier is easy to use and many users have given positive reviews about this aspect of the unit.
- You can use the app to control the unit with the help of an internet connection from anywhere.
- It has a modern, compact, and portable design which makes it easy to carry or set in any room environment.
- Some users reported issues about a smell while operating.
The 411 (Non-Auto) offers serious help to deal with allergies and pollutants. It utilizes HEPASilent technology to deliver clean air quickly and quietly. The simple one-button control makes its use super easy. This all aspects combined make it a perfect contender for the best air purifier option.
Let’s explore the features of this air purifier:
- The settings are easily adjusted by a single button and you can set the fan speed ensuring uninterrupted sleep at night.
- HEPASilent technology provides faster and quieter air purification than traditional HEPA filtration alone.
- Quiet Mark approved and ENERGY STAR rated for low noise levels (17 dB on low) and energy efficiency (1.5W on low).
BLUEAIR Blue 411 (Non-Auto)
161 sq. ft.
Pre-filter, HEPASilent, and Activated Carbon Filter
Certified Quietest Air Purifier, Energy Star
1 Year Warranty and 2 Year Warranty with Product Registration through Blueair
8 x 8 x 3.94 Inches
7. Best for Medium to Larger Rooms: Toshiba Air Purifier CAF-W36USW
Let’s shed some light on the pros and cons of the unit:
- The unit delivers a powerful airflow system and it is surprisingly quiet for such a high-powered air purifier.
- It is capable to trap and get rid of harmful contaminants (allergens, bacteria, and viruses) with its filtration process.
- It ensures that you get the best value-for-money feature-packed air purifier.
- The size of the unit is quite large and it is not suitable for small places like an apartment room.
The Purifier is equipped with high-efficiency filtration, a powerful UV light sanitizer, and Alexa capability. It is designed for medium to large rooms, providing a healthy and quiet environment while efficiently capturing airborne particles and killing germs.
Go through the features of the unit and discover its potential:
- Three filters (Pre-filter, HEPA filter, Activated carbon) capture 99.97% of airborne particles including smoke, pet dander, pollen, and dust.
- The unit boasts its adjustable 3-speed settings.
- It is highly effective against airborne viruses like influenza and rhinovirus ensuring a healthy indoor environment.
Toshiba Air Purifier CAF-W36USW
215 sq. ft.
Pre-filter, H13 HEPA, Activated Carbon
Energy Star Certified
1-Year Limited Warranty
6.89 x 10.08 x 26.57 Inches
8. Best for Compact Spaces: BISSELL MYair Air Purifier
Let’s have a look at the pros and cons of the unit:
- It handles indoor smoke with ease.
- This purifier comes with different fan speed settings.
- The filter maintenance is super easy which also allows you to save money.
- The fan power could be improved.
The Bissel is a compact purifier that captures smoke, while efficiently filtering particles and odors for a cleaner and fresher indoor atmosphere. Its whisper-quiet operation ensures a peaceful environment, and with customizable fan speeds, it’s the perfect addition to offices or bedrooms.
Check out the amazing features of this unit that make it special:
- A 3-in-1 filter ensures that pet odors, volatile compounds, and other odors are captured efficiently.
- The Whisper-quiet technology ensures that you enjoy a good night’s sleep.
- Intuitive LED controls for easy operation.
BISSELL MYair Air Purifier
100 sq. ft.
Dust: 69 CFM/Pollen: 67 CFM/Smoke: 57 CFM
Pre-Filter, Activated Carbon Filter, HEPA Filter
Energy Star, AHAM Certified (CADR)
1-Year Limited Warranty
8.27 x 3 x 12.2 Inches
9. Best for Peaceful Purification: Levoit LV-H132
Discover the upsides and downsides of the unit:
- It operates on 25dB only making it an ideal choice for a peaceful environment.
- The multiple filtration process ensures to catch pet dander, dust, pollens, and allergens that can cause breathing problems.
- It has an appealing and aesthetic design that can fit any type of room setting.
- CADR could be improved.
The LV-H132 is designed for ozone-free purification. With its multiple filters, it guarantees that no unwanted particle moves freely indoors. Dust, pollens, allergens, odors, pet dander, and more are easily gotten rid of via 3-stage filtration. The slim profile and portable design make it an amazing addition to your home space.
Listed below are the top highlights of this unit:
- Ozone-free purification ensures clean and healthy air without harmful ozone levels.
- Utilizes 3-stage filtration with HEPA to effectively trap dust, pet dander, pollen, and other pollutants.
- Whisper-quiet operation with noise levels as low as 25dB, making it ideal for uninterrupted sleep.
129 sq. ft.
Pre-Filter, H13 True HEPA Filter, High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter
9 Certification Worldwide
2-Year Limited Warranty
7.9 x 7.9 x 12.6 inches
4 Key Tips for Buying a Budget Air Purifier
Carry out your market research before buying an air purifier! Check out the various technologies they offer and what features make them better than the others. These all factors combined will help you make a well-informed decision. Learn about the key points to consider:
1. Air Purifiers Fitted with HEPA and Activated Carbon Filters
This is one of the main criteria when purchasing an air purifier as tapping and exterminating unwanted particles in the air depends on the filtration technology in the unit. Check out the information below to learn more about filter types. Let’s get started!
HEPA also known as High-efficiency particulate air filters deliver unmatched purifying results with their advanced filtration technology.
If you get sick from allergens such as mold spores, pollen, dust, dander, etc then HEPA air purifiers
are the ideal choice. With the ability to catch microscopic particles to a minimum size of 0.3 microns, they are exceptionally effective.
Activated Carbon Filters
A cost-effective air purifier must also have Activated Carbon filters that exterminate odor. Unbearable odors and volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are efficiently terminated using these porous surfaced special filters.
The combination with HEPA to enrich indoor air makes them a valuable addition.
Air Purifiers with Negative Ion Technology
Ionizers can be presented as promising but be careful! In the early 2000s, most air purifiers with ionizers produced ozone which can harm you. For such reasons, I do not recommend choosing air purifiers with ionizers. Learn more from this video!
Additionally, if you should choose between technologies such as PECO or UV and HEPA filtration, choose the second one. Because these filters can remove and get rid of smaller particles such as viruses.
Check this video to learn more about air purifiers!
2. Purchasing Air Purifiers Suitable for Room Size and Contaminants
Always check for an air purifier that fulfills the criteria of room size. The dimensions of the space play a crucial role in the efficiency of the device. Some air purifiers perform exceptionally in large rooms such as classrooms or office spaces while others can only function properly in smaller spaces.
Air purifiers and their compatibility for room size are mentioned by manufacturers and this vital information is mentioned on the packaging.
The table below provides a better understanding of the room size and CADR rating. Let’s dive in:
Room Size (sq. feet)
Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR)
300 — 500 ft²
One air purifier with a CADR of at least 150
500 — 900 ft²
One or two air purifiers with a combined CADR of 300 — 500
1,000 ft² and over
One very large or 2-3 air purifier with a combined CADR of 600 or higher
The potential of cleaning a specific volume of air in a time duration is known as the CADR of air purifiers.
Give preference to air purifiers that have a higher CADR rating to ensure that the air quality in your room is excellent and free from pollutants.
3. Choose Performance Over Smart Features for Air Purifiers
Air purifiers featuring smart technology, including auto mode and app support, provide enhanced ease and convenience during operation. But, it is worth noting that a smart air purifier can hurt your budget as it is usually more expensive than the standard unit.
I would recommend you emphasize performance over features. You can discover units with comparable performance to smart models but at a more pocket-friendly price.
4. Cheap Quality Purifiers Result in Low Air Quality
In the majority of cases, the air purifiers with a less price are a trap. Do your proper research by checking out customer reviews and reading about expert insights on various air purifiers.
In my years of experience, I have tested many air purifiers and concluded that it is impossible to find an excellent unit in a price range of less than $50. On the other hand, Amazon lists countless air purifiers in that price range.
Shark Air Purifier 4 vs 6: Which is the Best for Your Needs
Dyson TP01 vs TP02: Which One is Better for Your Needs
Quietest Air Purifier: 9 Best Models To Buy in 2023
Best Ozone-Free Air Purifier: 12 Recommend Picks Compared
Is a cheap air purifier worth it?
A cheap purifier is only worth it if you do not want to allot of budget into a purifier. However, the options presented in my guide are worthy of your attention.
Which is the best budget air purifier for dust?
The best air purifiers for dust are the ones that have multiple filters. Some most known units are Levoit Core 300 and Coway Airmega 1512HH.
Summing up, when buying a budget air purifier, conducting thorough market research is crucial. Focus on models with HEPA and Activated Carbon filters for effective purification. Prioritize air purifiers suitable for your room size and contaminants with higher CADR ratings. While smart features are convenient, go for performance over them to find more budget-friendly options
Based on my experience and testing, I recommend the Levoit Core 300 from all the options highlighted. It has an exceptional power-to-expense ratio and delivers unmatched performance with its H13 filters.
The Levoit Core 300 boasts an affordable price tag, a compact size, a larger coverage area, and an ozone-free operation. Overall, It is the ideal choice for enhancing the air quality indoors and spending a healthy lifestyle.